Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Proud Parenting Moment


I don't have a picture of this moment.  I *wish* I did.  But the tale is worthy of a blog report and this picture actually captures the "spirit" of the moment.  Cassidy has always done things her way.  She doesn't care much about what other people think, she is comfortable in who she is.  This makes us VERY happy.  Today she came home and told me about an experience at school that made my heart melt and (I confess) I might have gotten a bit teary.  She has a best friend, "T", that she has been close to since the first day of Kindergarten.  Apparently at school today "T" decided it was cool to swear.  Cass informed "T" that is wasn't okay to say those words.  "T" kept saying them and even indicated that it was okay for her to say them and her family was okay with it too.  Cass told her that those words were NOT appropriate in her family.  Apparently Cass took quite a bit of razzing from several other kids about her determination NOT to say swear words.  When I asked her how this made her feel she very softly and carefully said, "Mommy, I know I made Jesus happy today.  That was important.  I don't need to say those words."  I know....RIGHT?  Seriously choked up mommy.  She mentioned that it isn't always easy to do the right thing and make those choices but she was glad she did it.  SIGH.  I'm so....dare I say it...."proud"....of my little girl.  She's only 7 and has a lot of life to live and certainly more moments of peer pressure to deal with, but OH HOW I HOPE AND PRAY that this little moment in her life is just a hint of the strength she will have as she grows.  
PS:  This is our 200th post.  !!!

3 comments:

Harmon Family said...

You should be proud of yourself as well. What a wonderful girl. Great job to you guys!!

Tracey said...

Such a smart, wonderful girl! I love love love this photo.

*Shan said...

Shan...Thanks! So excited we are going to be closer to you this next year.

Trace...She is a pretty great girl. I love love love this photo too and I love love love the girl who took it! Cheese!